Monday, April 16, 2012

Driving to Myrtle Beach from Peterborough, Ontario Canada

We are heading to North Myrtle Beach at the end of June 08%26#39; There will be 2 adults and our 4 year old twins. My wife and I are thinking that we will drive straight through from the Gananoque Crossing.



Just wondering if there has been many people drive straight through?



We are planning on leaving around 4pm on the Saturday and by the time we get to Watertown NY we will have dinner and get the kids in their PJ%26#39;s for bed. Then we will drive through till breakfast the next morning an that will put us withing a few hours of our hotel.



Does anyone have any ideas on the best routes to drive?





Thanks





Driving to Myrtle Beach from Peterborough, Ontario Canada


Longest I%26#39;ve driven is from Charlotte, NC to Niagara Falls, and this seems even longer. I think it is possible. I would guess take I-81 to I-95 (to avoid Philly and Baltimore) then off of I-95 to Hwy 501 and you%26#39;re there. You%26#39;re looking at an 18 hour drive.



Driving to Myrtle Beach from Peterborough, Ontario Canada


We have driven a few times from southern Maine, mileage similar to yours. Mostly we stop overnight, but we have driven straight through and concluded that if you are going to try to drive straight through, 4-5pm is a pretty good time to leave.





The biggest issue is what to do about the Baltimore-Washington area. Traffic is extremely heavy for many hours of the day, there are a lot of slowdowns and stops and it can just blow your whole plan. Near Harrisburg, PA, you can switch from 81 to 15 and take that down into Virginia past DC. You can then choose several cutovers to I-95. Speed limits on 15 are lower, of course, than I-83 and I-95, but that won%26#39;t matter if it%26#39;s a choice between moving and stopped or crawling. You could wait until you are close to Harrisburg to decide what to do. Unless you will likely be past Baltimore and DC BEFORE 6am, I would choose 15.




Glancing at map and looking at directions from another message board. Might try:



I-81 to I-66.



East to RT-17



South RT-17 to I-95



South I-95 to I-40



East on I-40 to Wilmington



I-140 by-pass around Wilmington to Rt-17



RT-17 into NMB



Guy giving those directions says it%26#39;s a hair longer but less traffic and stress.




Sorry, I do not why this post was removed. I don%26#39;t see that I violated a guideline. Good you please explain?





Thanks




I don%26#39;t think your post was removed. If I%26#39;m not mistaken the last post included information that pushed the ';no advertising'; rule.



If I remember right he said to run 81 to 95 in DC. He was so concerned about getting his ad in, he didn%26#39;t take time to notice 81 doesn%26#39;t connect with 95.




We have never driven all day and all night, but we have left at 11 pm to avoid traffic and get to the beach early.





We only did that once. We found it made us tired the next day and our bodies had a harder time adjusting to the regular sleep pattern for several days.(The kids were fine as they could sleep in the car at normal times.)



It also got us there long before the hotel room was ready, so we had to change to swimwear in a McDonalds bathroom.





You route is very different from ours, but at one point they become the same. About 4 miles south of Lumberton, NC, we hit Rt. 74 almost to Chadbourn (about 19 miles), then hit Rt. 410 for 12 miles, took Rt. 701 22 miles to the SC border, the 4 miles farther into SC. AT Loris, SC we hit business rt 9 or RT. 9 for 20 miles down to Rt. 17 which is the main drag. The little towns offered light traffic %26amp; we found it was quicker to go that way.(and some of it is 4-lane anyway.)





It has been a while since we were there, but we are going two weeks from today.





Whatever you do, stay alert.




Just had to reply here....so odd, I just had a student teacher from Peterborough! She returned this week for a visit %26amp; mentioned her town. I thought....hmmmm, where have I heard that town name recently. I was on here this pm and realized why it sounded familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment