Friday, April 13, 2012

Taking a road trip

My girlfriend and I are driving from the Baltimore area to Charleston next month. Most of the information I need regarding restaurants, places to visit, etc., I have already gotten from previous posts (Thanks to everyone!).

The one thing I could not find was a recommendation of places to eat on the trip down. We%26#39;re leaving here around 4 a.m., and since it%26#39;s about a nine hour drive, we%26#39;ll be stopping for breakfast and lunch. Does anybody know of some good places to stop within a close proximity of I-95? We%26#39;re trying to avoid going to the same old chain restaurants.

Obviously, you guys are the experts on Charleston, but no harm in asking, right? :)

Taking a road trip

You might be better off figuring out approximately where you%26#39;ll be stopping for these meals and post this on the message boards for those states and cities. That way you%26#39;ll get a response from the locals in those areas.

Have a great trip!

Taking a road trip

I tried the Richmond board, but there isn%26#39;t as much activity as there is here. I was hoping to eat at a nice local spot, but I%26#39;ll likely end up somwhere simple like McDonald%26#39;s.


For lunch perhaps you can try the Summerton Diner in Summerton, SC... here is a link to the RoadFood write-up... www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx鈥?/a> Summerton is between Florence, SC and the I-26 exit just off I-95.


Sounds like you will avoid the traffic around Washington and be in the Richmond area for a relatively early breakfast.

If you were passing through later in the day, I would recommend ';The Smokey Pig'; (Ashland, VA, just north of Richmond) for a great barbecue lunch or dinner. Maybe you can try it on your return drive. Here is the website - http://www.thesmokeypig.com/

In any case, Ashland is a college town, right off I-95. I suspect they have somewhere to get a decent breakfast. Hopefully, someone on that forum will respond.

As you drive south through North Carolina, the places that are close enough to I-95 for a quick stop become quite generic (i.e uninteresting). If you have had breakfast in Richmond, you may prefer to wait until you get into South Carolina for lunch. Post on the Florence, Santee, and Summerville forums for lunch suggestions short of driving right into Charleston.


Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I also got a response on the Richmond board, so I%26#39;m very happy to have a few options. I%26#39;ll check these places out and go from there. Thanks again!


The Summerton Diner is a GREAT place for a home cooked meal. Exit 108 turn right to stop sign and then turn right go one block and your there. appx 1 mile off I 95 Closed Thursday%26#39;s.

  • bright makeup
  • programming
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment