Thursday, April 26, 2012

Restaurant recommendation for lunch

We%26#39;re planning to take a day trip to Charleston while staying at Surfside Beach. We were in Charleston for a longer stay in the past and know there are many wonderful restaurants to choose from. Since we%26#39;ll only be there for one meal this time, wondering what people%26#39;s favorite restaurants are for lunch? Thanks.



Restaurant recommendation for lunch


The restaurant ';Slightly North of Broad'; has a wonderful lunch. Many of the downtown business people use it for business lunches. Arrive early (before 12) or make a reservation. Prices are reasonable (by Charleston standards anyway) This restaurant was named ';Restaurant of the Year'; and has been written up in a number of national publications. (New York Times, Esquire, The Today Show, etc)





Many other downtown restaurants are great also....



Magonolia%26#39;s, Blossom%26#39;s, High Cotton.



Restaurant recommendation for lunch


Sorry, cyberspace cut me off before I was finished!!!





It is Magnolia%26#39;s, I misspelled earlier. All of the restaurants I mentioned are on East Bay Street in close proximity.





At any rate, wherever you eat, I hope you have a great visit.




If you want ';homestyle'; southern food, you might be interested in lunch (they call it dinner) at ';Virginia%26#39;s on King';. This is a new restaurant that has had some great reviews in the forum. See - www.virginiasonking.com





If you want fast, cheap and delicious, our favorite lunch spot is Joseph%26#39;s, on Meeting Street. See - www.josephsofcharleston.com




Poogan%26#39;s Porch




I second Virgina%26#39;s on King...it is my new favorite lunch spot.




I just got back. We were dissapointed with Joseph%26#39;s for lunch, but had a wonderful lunch at Poogan%26#39;s Porch.




The BLT (made with Fried Green Tomatoes) at Poogan%26#39;s is awesome. So are the cathead biscuits that are served with certain plates. I am not fond of Poogan%26#39;s for dinner, however their lunch is great.




OK - I%26#39;ve spent some time on the ';Restaurant Links'; page, (see ';Restaurants'; and find the ';Links'; link :) ) The restaurants I could think of that had websites are listed here. You could use this to view menus, then cross-reference under the TA comments to see what diners think of the restaurants.





Anyone out there finding a broken link or noticing that I missed a breakfast, lunch or dinner place (and I know I have missed a lot, but this is a start!) please let me know! :) Since that page is not for opinions. I thought we%26#39;d leave it pretty simple.





Oh - in case you noticed I skipped JBistro - we read in the paper this week that they%26#39;ve unfortunately closed down, and TBonz is becoming Liberty Steakhouse.




I%26#39;d recommend Virginia%26#39;s On King as well. The others mentioned above are OK, but nothing to write home about - (somewhat pricey, touristy, service can be mediocre). Virginia%26#39;s is reltively new and has great reviews.




If you should find yourself in Mt. Pleasant (perhaps on the way down or on the way back) I highly recommend Gullah Cuisine on Hwy 17 (just north of the Hungryneck Connector and south of Towne Center Shopping. For under $7 they have an all-you-can-eat buffet of ALL southern (gullah) food. Examples: Mac and Cheese, at least 4 different types of rice, Fried Chicken, baked chicken, sweet potatos (or are they yams?), mashed potato casserole, all kinds of greens, salad bar, banana pudding, bread pudding,...





The last time I was at GC it had to be about 12 years ago and it has grown. I would put it in the ';upscale'; buffet category now.


  • pimple cure
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment