Thursday, April 26, 2012

Since we talking about driving....(from Orlando)

Please tell me about the drive up to Myrtle from the Orlando area. Any tips, advice etc. would be greatly appreciated!



Since we talking about driving....(from Orlando)


I find it a fairly easy drive. You%26#39;re on 95 for the bulk of the trip. I guess it%26#39;s all relative to what you are used to driving. I%26#39;m not sure what kind of tips you need. It takes about 8 hours (depending upon when you leave, what time of year you are going, and the ages of your group).



Since we talking about driving....(from Orlando)


I guess I%26#39;m specifically asking about traffic. We are thinking of leaving on Thursday, July 3rd early in the morning (6am) or so.




All roads in and out of Myrtle will be HEAVY TRAFFIC.Check in time at most places is 3PM or later so consider that when planning arrival time. I would try to arrive earlier than that if bored and anxious children wont be a major item if you have to wait to check in. Could always spend a couple of bucks for parking and wait on the beach at Myrtle Beach State Park. Plenty of parking, picnic tables, beach and pier for walking. I would stay on 95 past Florence to exit 170 and follow signs from there. Some people like to go through Georgetown and take 17 north to Myrtle, but I have never seen light PM traffic there.




I wonder if it would be wiser to leave Orlando later (2 pm or so). That way when we arrived, we could check in immediately. Although we are not traveling with small children, the idea of not being able to check into our hotel after a long drive does not appeal to me at all!




It really depends on what day you are arriving. We did the dreaded no-no in October and arrived on Friday afternoon during bike week. we had made good time from Nashville even coming through the mountains in the rain until we got close..... We sat in traffic for well over an hour once we got to Myrtle waiting to get across the waterway.




I%26#39;m afraid you%26#39;ll have traffic regardless since the 4th falls on a Friday. Lots of people will be leaving Thursday afternoon/evening to get a jump on the weekend. Bring your patience~maybe a great book on tape for the ride!




We would be arriving on Thursday, July 3rd. What would you suggest, earlier (6 am) or later (2pm)? I think I%26#39;m inclined to say earlier.




Would you do Wednesday afternoon (the 2nd), or Thursday morning (the 3rd)?




If it were me I%26#39;d leave on Wednesday afternoon. I%26#39;d rather get in late Wednesday night and miss as much of the 4th traffic as possible.




i second that motion, arrive Wed instead of Thursday cause I will bet thursday traffic is horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment