Thursday, April 26, 2012

What to bring - March trip

Hi guys!

Well, my trip is almost here (just a few short weeks away) and I%26#39;m just so excited. I%26#39;ve got my itinerary and restaurants down pat and all I need to do is confirm them and I%26#39;m set.

I just have a question with regards to clothing. As far as tops go, I%26#39;m planning on wearing short sleeve t-shirts and bringing jackets/cardigans that I can layer on top (in case the weather is cool). Of course I%26#39;ll also bring some long sleeve shirts and a sweater or two, but I really want to avoid overpacking. My main concern is what type of pants to wear - I can bring some jeans and slacks, but I%26#39;m wondering if the weather is ever really warm enough to bring long shorts (knee length). I%26#39;d like to bring a few just in case, but if mid-March weather is generally too cool, I won%26#39;t.

Also, this may sound silly, but I%26#39;ll go ahead and ask it. In NY, I would never be wearing spring-like outfits (lighter colors, lighter materials) until mid to late April, if then. I%26#39;m kind of getting bored with wearing winter clothing now - is Mid-March considered spring down in Charleston? Would I be out of place wearing spring-type clothing?

Thanks so much for your help!

What to bring - March trip

Just FYI - about a week ago the news showed girls in bikins sunning themselves at the College Of Charleston. Yesterday in the city I saw a lot of tank tops and shorts. I%26#39;d check the local weather report just before coming but be sure to bring some ';warm weather'; clothing. Here%26#39;s a link to the local weather forecast. http://www.live5news.com/ I%26#39;ve found that weather.com is usually a few degrees off in their predictions (usually warmer than they say)

What to bring - March trip

Hi CultureHound!

Great - I have lots of warm weather clothing and I look forward to wearing some of it (though no bikinis!). My mother insists that it may snow ....I think I need to convince her that Charleston is in the south, lol.

I always check the forecasts before I leave even though, of course, more than half the time they are wrong. I love how the weathermen in NY all predicted a couple of inches of snow on Friday and we ended up with 5 or 6.

Thanks for the help!


We rarely get snow here.

March can be unpredictable. Actually, anytime November through March is unpredictable as far as temperature. It may be cool but not cold. The shorts usually do not come out here until late April or in May sometime. It was bikini (pushing it a bit) weather the other day but coats downtown today. Plan to layer and remember that the weather changes faster than you can change your mind!

The weather channel is also pretty close in its predictions.

Don%26#39;t forget to tuck in a small umbrella.


Hi SC Blossom

I%26#39;m used to layering, so that%26#39;s no problem and I always bring an umbrella. I actually like cool (not cold) weather (fall is my favorite season), especially for touring. If it%26#39;s like that for my trip, I%26#39;ll count myself lucky.


You will love it!


I have been down in March 3 times..and each time the weather was different. But I can say that 2 of the times was shorts and flip flops weather, during the day. The good thing about the south is people are not really that hung up with what ya wear (unless its a fancier restaurant), because in a tourist town you see all kinds and anything goes just about. So just pack a lil of everything, because ya never know what the weather will bring!


Thanks for all the tips. I%26#39;m going to start my packing list soon and this will be a big help.

I certainly promise a detailed trip report as soon as I return!


Weather bulletin: BRRR! put the bikinis away for the next 2 days at least! :) Looks like we bought 2 tickets for the weather roller coaster!

  • bulldog for sale
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment