Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Doubletree or Mill House Holiday Inn-location &room size

I%26#39;ll be spending just 24 hours in Charleston with my sister and my adult daughter in late April. Since we are there for such a short time, I think our most important priority is the hotel location, but I also need to keep in mind that 3 women will all be trying to get ready in the morning, so a spacious room would also be a plus. I was hoping to find something in the $200 range. From reading this forum, it seems that the Doubletree and Mill House both have great locations in the Historic District. For the night of 4/30, I can get either one for $228 plus tax. Are they both about equal? Any advice? Is there anyplace else I should be considering?





Thanks for any info you can provide.



Doubletree or Mill House Holiday Inn-location %26amp;room size


The Mills House is one of my favorites but I have to tell you that the Doubletree will be bigger being that is is a suite. The Doubletree is located right on Market Street and the Mills House is just a short walk to the Market. If I was staying for just 24 hours I would stay at Doubletree for the space. Definitely come back to Charleston and experience the Mills House because the decor really gives you that ';Charleston'; ambience.





By they way, that is a really great rate!



Doubletree or Mill House Holiday Inn-location %26amp;room size


The Mills House is one of my favorite hotels anywhere for ambiance and location. The connected, covered parking garage is a big plus, as well. Although I often stay in Doubletree Hotels, and like them very much, I would pick The Mills House for a unique Charleston experience.




Stayed at this hotel with my husband. We had a room that had the bedroom and bath upstairs and a kitchenette and living room downstairs. If you have a room like this you would have plenty of room. I have visited Charleston 7 times - I would say if you are only here for 24hrs to stay closer to the action, which would be at the Doubletree. You are right on the Market with access to tours, carriage rides, many choices for restaurants and shopping. I was not overwhelmed with the Doubletree as far as the facility, but you can%26#39;t beat the location. However, it was clean and the staff were outstanding.




Both are in great locations, right in the heart of the historic district.





I actually prefer the location of the Mills House (at the corner of Meeting and Queen). The elegant King Street shops are right around the corner. 82 Queen and Poogans Porch are right across the street. You are two blocks from the Market and the activity on East Bay, but the area right around your hotel is more subdued.





The Mills House should not be confused with the ';Holiday Inn Historic District';, which is a good hotel - but too much outside the action for a one night visit.




Thank you all for your advice. We are in SC for 3 nights. The first night will be in Charleston and the next two nights in Myrtle Beach where my daughter lives. I%26#39;ve been lurking on the MB forumm for the past couple of weeks and haven%26#39;t found any hotel there that people rave about like the Mills House in Charleston. With that in mind, I%26#39;m now leaning toward the Mills House for it%26#39;s charm. If it%26#39;s only slightly less convenient and centrally located than the Doubletree, we can definitely handle that. But we plan to be out late at night -assuming we can find a casual lively restaurant/bar on a Monday night. We%26#39;ll stick together, and we wouldn%26#39;t wander off the beaten path at night. So, now I%26#39;m wondering if there%26#39;s any ngihtlife near the Mills House, and if not, would it be safe for 3 women walking back to the Mills House late at night, or would taking a taxi be an option. Thanks again for your advice. I promise to stop asking questions after this.




The location of the Mills House is probably the safest location in Charleston. The Mills House is a very grand hotel - a centerpiece! The historic district is all around it. Everything is within easy walking distance and completely safe for the 3 of you. You will be amazed that you got such a good price on this great hotel. Have a wonderful time!




I have stayed at both hotels. While the Mills House is very historic, the Doubletree has a better location for a short trip. We were upgraded upon arrival to a %26#39;larger%26#39; suite and found the room to be very spacious.




Miz Linda, you%26#39;re looking at two very different properties.... The Mills House is an old, but nicely kept, hotel... the Doubletree is a more up to date ';suite'; configuration. 3 women in 1 room? Go for the Doubletree.... Mills House is beautiful, and my wife and I stay there often - but, when it comes to the bathroom, think of it like an ';old'; house with a 5X7 bathroom, and new construction with a bath suite...location of each has its positives, and neither has any negatives... but, 3 women?.... Doubletree....

No comments:

Post a Comment