Friday, April 13, 2012

stops along the way

We are traveling from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach. Can anyone suggest any cool places to stop along the way? Good sightseeing spots or a nice hotel to stay over night?

What about South of the Border? Is this worth stopping at? It will be my husband, me, our 2 year old son and both grandmothers(god help us) LOL:)

Thanks!!!

stops along the way

I can%26#39;t really tell you where to stop but I can tell you where NOT to stop...don%26#39;t stop at South of the Border! It%26#39;s a total tourist trap with junky souvenir shops and fireworks and a ratty motel and tacky Mexican themed statues. It%26#39;s all very 1960%26#39;s kitsch. Unless you are really in to this kind of campiness you will be sorry you went out of your way to stop here.

stops along the way

I don%26#39;t care for all of the junk that South of the Border sells but their bathrooms are GREAT (clean)!


I can%26#39;t think of anywhere ';cool'; to visit I guess it would all depend on which way you were coming.

But definitely don%26#39;t stop at South of the Border. ';Nothing to see here, keep it moving.';


I have to agree...

with the other posters.. sigh...


Would make for slow trip down but:

Maybe three hours into your drive. RT 19. Fayetteville/ Beckley WV.

Just north of Fayetteville is New River Bridge. North end of bridge. On the north bound side is information center and overlook. Overlook might be bit of a hike for grandmothers. Several levels all down stairs. Long hike back up. You and hubby could handle it fine.

Maybe another 45 minutes down to Beckley. As soon as you hit I-77/WV Turnpike. First exit is Tammarack. Gift/craft shops featuring WV goods. Three women. Might be there a while.

Short hop on down I-77 to Princeton or Wythville VA to spend the night. 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Wythville to MB.


I disagree. I suggest you do stop, however briefly, at South of the Border. It must be seen to be believed.

It%26#39;s total crap, and I wouldn%26#39;t think about staying overnight here. It%26#39;s the kind of stuff horror movies are made of. But I stop here every time I drive to Myrtle Beach simply to let my jaw drop in-awe of this seedy, tacky, wonder-of-the-world.

Stop here at least once, if only for half an hour. Put it on your bucket list.


On a more constructive note, driving through Delaware and the Chesapeake Bay is very nice if you%26#39;re willing to take the slow road. Other than that, I can only recommend touring D.C. or stopping at King%26#39;s Dominion.


The people at SOTB KNOW it%26#39;s a trap- that%26#39;s part of the image. Of course it%26#39;s worthless- that%26#39;s what makes it fun. It%26#39;s right on I-95 so it%26#39;s no bother...and you%26#39;ll need a break anyway. It%26#39;s so silly, it%26#39;s fun. Stop just to say you%26#39;ve been there. Some of these guys either don%26#39;t understand it or just need to loosen up a little. Just don%26#39;t spend the night there without taking shots! LOL. Best wishes.


Holy moley! Just saw where SOTB has a Peddler Steak House now! Amazing!


You will be coming thru WV...(not Delaware or VA)

do like pop suggested...stop at the New River Gorge visitors center. Good place to stretch your legs. If you can, and have the time, you and your wife could walk to the overlook. Well worth it! (Let the grandma%26#39;s watch your 2 yr. old) You will pass right by Tamarack. Maybe after your stop at the bridge, stop at Tamarack for a quick look-see and maybe a snack. They have great food. Quick too. It will be about 30 minutes from the bridge.

Beckley has lots of hotels and resturants to choose from at Exit 44. (Beckley is 4 hours from Pittsburgh)

Every time we pass thru South of the Border, it makes me laugh out loud! We have never stopped there although I have to admit it%26#39;s tempting.

Go ahead, stop for a little while. Won%26#39;t hurt.

  • Rat toys
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment