Wednesday, April 18, 2012

No ';Jazz'; at the Jazz Corner - Hilton Head -





I was very excited to go to the Jazz Corner recently this month (DEC 2006). I sat down, and was excited to be amongst the packed house of patrons. Then the ';Jazz'; musicians came onto stage to play every disco and elevator song on the galaxy. They played everything adn anything EXCEPT JAZZ! This was the total antithesis of jazz.





I must say, I have never been to a jazz club that plays all the disco songs. It was bizarre. I actually think real jazz artists will look upon the title ';Jazz corner'; with as much scepticism as going to a discoteque and find jazz being played there. I have to scratch my head and wonder, just where in the world was the jazz here??





This was the least jazz i have ever seen in my entire life.





I thought I had found a nice little jazz sanctuary here in Hilton Head.



Its just jazz instruments playing disco and elevator lounge singer acts. BlllaahhH! I am rather upset that they advertise themselves as jazz, when its more like Lounge Act Corner.





Rest assured. There is no ';Jazz'; at the Jazz corner.



No ';Jazz'; at the Jazz Corner - Hilton Head -


I had the pleasure of being at The Jazz Corner on Wed. 12/27 and the Earl Williams Band was there. The show was fantastic. I must assume he was not there when you visited. I highly reccommend you try to go when he is there.



No ';Jazz'; at the Jazz Corner - Hilton Head -


you had the liberty to leave if the place was unappealing. why didn%26#39;t you?




The Jazz Corner is a restaurant that offers live music nightly. They also are among the few on Hilton Head to offer bands and groups regularly. The name Jazz Corner should be an indication of what this restaurant offers not necessarily exactly.





Tell me do you expect to find a real live Olive Tree and Garden at the restaurant chain of that name. Of course not, what you are expecting is a restaurant that serves italian dishes. Since the Olive Garden is part of a large chain and public corparation, I think you would be hard pressed to find that that chains kitchens employ many executive chefs of Italian origin.





Yet your criticism is not about the food, or the entertainment offered but about the name. Jazz as I understand it takes many forms. Hot Jazz such as the type offered by the late Louis Armstrong. Big Band Jazz such as represented by Benny Goodman, or duke Ellington. Cool Jazz typified by Dave Brubeck or Miles Davis, and others.





The fact is that you can find our best local talent playing there weekly. Groups such as Earl Willliams and Lavon Stephens are well liked here and play the Jazz Corner weekly. Hilton Head is still a small community and our local talent is very good, but not of the caliber you would find in large cities like Chicago, NYC, or LA.





I agree with you that criticism can cut two ways, but in looking at your previous posts on this and other forums, I find that your criticism usually tends to be unwarranted, and flat out wrong.





Stan (hhiguy)





.












i will not respond to another post by this user good, bad or otherwise so let the chips fall where they may.




My husband and I just went to the Jazz Corner and really enjoyed it. I guess you have to check who the artists are before you go...they list them in advance on their web site. The night we went it was 50s and 60s era jazz, blues and dixieland jazz. Very well done and enjoyable. There%26#39;s no cover charge, a full menu, and an enthusiastic audience. I highly recommend this place.




Maybe you should give it another chance, and do a little research first on who is playing before you visit again? I%26#39;m a musician in SC, and folks I trust tell me they%26#39;ve heard some great music at that club (although I must admit I%26#39;ve never been there).





Sometimes clubs just have an off night or two, and December is a tough time to get awesome musicians booked (as all the best musicians usually have a full schedule of private holiday party gigs (with Christmas, New Year%26#39;s parties happening), as well as taking time for themselves to enjoy the holidays with their families).





I have been to Buddy Guy%26#39;s Legends there in Chicago about 5 times, and it rocked 2 times and it was not so good the other times I went. It all depends on who is booked, how good the crowd is, what the vibe is that night, etc. To me, it%26#39;s kind of tough to judge how good a club is on the basis of one band you heard on a night over the holidays.




The Jazz Corner is one of my favorite places on the island. We go every year. I especially love ';Deas Guyz'; who do some blues and Motown and other eclectic numbers. The entertainers change nightly. I%26#39;ve obviously not heard them all, but have never been disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment