Monday, April 16, 2012

Historic Tours??



I%26#39;ll be in Hilton Head this summer. I%26#39;ve been there before and loved the oceanfront. However,I feel like I missed some historic tours. last time I visited Fort Sumpter in Charleston and I took the a trolley tour in Savannah. Are thier any historic sights near Hilton Head??





Our interest include:





Civil / Revolutionary war,





Historic Homes.





Finally, The Westin Oceanfront room is currently going for 75.00 more per night in July than the Hilton Oceanfront. Is it worth it? I liked the Hilton



Oceanfront but wasn%26#39;t happy wiht the pools, they were



not kept up throughout the day. I thought I would try the Westin this time.



Thanks





Historic Tours??


There are several ruins on the island itself. Historic Fort Mitchell is located right next to the old Fort Pub. It was used during the Civil War to protect Port Royal Harbor.





Robbers Row golf Course has several holes that run through Fort Walker. This fort was a holding area and training ground for the Black Union Troops including the 54th Mass. which was portrayed in the film ';Glory';





A cemetery on the corner of Matthews Drive and William Hilton Parkway contains the Bayard Mausoleum. It was also the site of one of Francis Marion%26#39;s raid during the revolution. Finally if you go to Seapines you can see the ruins of the Bayard Plantation, which was built using ';Tabby'; a local substitute for cement which used Oyster shells. There are several other ';Tabby'; sites in Beaufort County, the most being on St Helenas Island.





Stan (hhiguy)



Historic Tours??


I have not stayed at the Hilton but have stayed at the Marriott and the Westin. To be honest with you I was a litle disappointed in the Westin. To me it did not meet the standards of the typical Westin you would find in most major cities. I have read good things about the Hilton and I would stay there if I were chosing between the two.






Thank you both for your responses. I%26#39;m leaning towards the Hilton again, it seems to be the better value.


  • bright makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment