Wednesday, April 18, 2012

rental locations

I am looking for rentals on Seabrook Island. I am currently looking at a house on Bent Twig Road. I now that most of the rentals are not oceanfront, but how removed is this location. What is the closest beach, North Beach? I remember when I was there before that it is a really long walk on the beach access walkway to north beach. I%26#39;ve stay at the Pelican Watch villas, but I%26#39;m not interested in that location. The other option I am looking at is the Summer Wind Cottages. I don%26#39;t know whick location would be better, Bent Twig or Summer Wind. We will not have small children with us. Our children are in their early twenties. What do you think?





rental locations


Sorry I cannot help...





I am bumping you up in hope that OurGreatEscape, or other Seabrook expert, will see your post.



rental locations


My first inclination was to tell you Summerwind is closer to the beach. Then I pulled out my SI map:-) Summerwind is closer to Pelican Beach (near Pelican Watch villas) and the club area.





Bent Twig is closer to the North Beach area. I would consider neither to be walking distance to the beach- biking or driving, yes.





Other things to consider--noise level/privacy. What time of year are you visiting? Bent Twig is a residential street with private single family homes; Summerwind is a neighborhood of villas with not many fulltime residents. Thus Summerwind becomes filled with rental guests during the summer months. ( I visited a Summerwind last week; they are spacious units tucked in the trees.)





Driving and parking near Pelican Beach will be a little more difficult this summer. The club is preparing to build a new island house. Construction has currently eaten up a lot of parking around the club area.





If club facilities are important to you, you need to ask about amenity cards. Most owners and rental companies are charging $150/wk for an amenity card which gives you access--you%26#39;ll still have to pay for rounds of golf, tennis, etc. You will also have to pay a $20 refundable deposit on the card. Note--some owners do have a membership which does not require guests to pay the $150. Apparently there is no way around the refundable $20.





Beach boardwalks--the walk is longer now as North Beach has grown;-) I was out on Sunday and could not believe how much wider the beach was. And I was here during Thanksgiving! While the walk to the beach can seem long, keep in mind those dunes are protecting our beach. You won%26#39;t find SI falling into the ocean like Wild Dunes.




Tomsoc, Can you tell me why you are not interested in staying at Pelican Watch Villas? I am trying to dedide whether to stay there or at golf course villa. From what I can tell villa on golf course looks prettier but I do like the idea of having the beach within walking distance.




bchurch,





Something to keep in mind, Pelican Watch villas are actually located on the Edisto River. The river does join the ocean relatively close to PW villas.





The beach area near Pelican Watch is much narrower than at North Beach. When the tide is in there is not much beach area (last July the tide came in conveniently enough to put out our bonfire at the 10 p.m. time).





Many neighborhoods and condos are within walking distance of the beach. If you plan on renting bikes, there%26#39;s not a problem staying near the front of the island.





It really all depends on what amenities you need;-)




Great Escape - I have read that from other posts. These are the two places I have found that we can afford. It seems rentals are much more money on Seabrook than on Hilton Head, Myrtle etc. There are only two of us (and our little yorkie) and don%26#39;t need a large place. We don%26#39;t want to spend $1300 for one week because golf seems rather pricey there as well. Hubby golfs while I do beach so I guess I have to make some compromises regarding not saying near ';real beach.';




Bchurch,





You%26#39;ll be fine not be directly on the beach. There are parking spots near most of the beach access boardwalks.





With regard to rental prices, remember MB and HHI have huge inventories while Seabrook Island has roughly 2700 properties TOTAL. Most of these folks do not rent and there are no hotels on SI.





Golf: the club on SI has instituted a new plastic amenity card system. Some owners have memberships that allow them to offer cards for free. Other owners (like myself) have memberships that require rental guests to buy the $150/wk card. There is also a $10 deposit on the card (this was reduced from $20).





There are 17 other courses in the Charleston area your hubby can play if he chooses not to purchase the club%26#39;s amenity card to play SI%26#39;s two courses. My husband will usually play each of the SI courses once and play ';off-island'; one or two times during our visits. (I%26#39;m sure I can get my dh to make golf suggestions;-})





Eliza




My husband says he would like his suggestions. That would be helpful. Is there a website that might list all the golf courses in the area? So in your opinion, would you pick Pelican Villa or Wedgewood Villas?




bchurch,





I%26#39;ll send you a pm with the list of courses, etc.





Eliza

No comments:

Post a Comment