Friday, April 13, 2012

Looking for clarification on alligators

We stayed in Shipyard last year and saw lots of alligators. We avoided them even as we fished along the lagoons ... no big deal.





This year we are looking at Palmetto Dunes. There are two types of lagoons there from what I can tell. There are some isolated lagoons which are freshwater I assume. The 11 mile connected lagon system is salt water. Alligators don%26#39;t like salt water. Does this mean that the alligators in Palmetto dunes would only normally be found around the fresh water lagoons or do people see them in the salt water lagoon system (I%26#39;m guessing it is a bit brackish)? I have searched the interent and can%26#39;t find clarification on this. We plan to kayak and fish the lagoon system but DH is very wary of doing this with alligators around with our 7%26amp;8 yr olds.





So what%26#39;s the deal? Has anyone ever seen one in the salt water lagoon system? I understand anything is possible and that alligators will go to salt water on rare occasions but what I%26#39;m wondering is if you see a lot of them sunning themselves on the banks of that lagoon system or will you only run into them on some of the other lagoons that are not connected (like a few in the lemington area).



Looking for clarification on alligators


Hi - I own a villa on the 11 mile lagoon in Palmetto Dunes. You are right, the lagoon is brackish water, fed by two tidal gates from Broad Creek.





I have seen alligators in the lagoon, but only small ones (3 to 4 feet long) for what it%26#39;s worth. I suspect there could be larger ones.





But frankly, I kayak in it, PD Outfitters sends people (and kids) out in canoes and kayaks all the time in the lagoon, and I wouldn%26#39;t be concerned about it.





Just please, folks, never feed them. That%26#39;s what is dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment