Monday, April 16, 2012

Day Trip To Charleston From Myrtle Beach

I found out that Grayline bus company does daily tours from myrtle beach to charleston. I didn%26#39;t get a lot of info from their website, but they pick up from some area hotels. Has any one done this or knows anything about this?



Day Trip To Charleston From Myrtle Beach


I would also be very interested in on any information on this, thanks.



Day Trip To Charleston From Myrtle Beach


Most people have cars when they visit MB - if you have a car you might consider driving to Charleston since it%26#39;s such an easy drive and it will give you lots of flexibility. (most of the drive is ';wide open'; after MB; the only slow section is through Georgetown and then you%26#39;re home free til the Charleston outskirts.)



Check the Charleston forum on what to do once you%26#39;re in Charleston - architectural tours, historic tours, home and garden tours, boutique shopping, aquarium, the Hunley, art galleries, various plantation homes, the Charleston Tea Plantation, Ft. Sumter, etc. Welcome!




I was able to find some information on the gray line site but not enough so I called the number and the girl that answered told me there was no such day trip and suggested I called Greyhound and gave me the number, so I called Greyhound and they would be more than happy to pick you up and deliver you but there is no tour. I will have my own car in MB but we will have travelled a long way to get there and I thought it would be a nice break for my husband to let someone else do the driving and not have to worry about maps and such. I am going to keep at this one because I think there has to be something out there. Thanks for your help though!!!




The bus would take you to the visitor center, (which is impressive and worthy of spending some time there),and from there you can select from a variety of tours (trolley, horse-drawn, walking, etc.) This would of course be at additional expense to the bus fare, but there is now way you could do a decent tour of Charleston from a Greyhound bus...too many little sidestreets %26amp; nowhere to pull over for narratives.





For the same reasons, you will see more if you walk than drive on your tour(s). When my wife %26amp; I go we just park %26amp; walk on our own, listening in when we encounter a tour group. We just love looking over the walls %26amp; through the fences at the manicured grounds surrounding the fabulous homes...can%26#39;t see that stuff from a trolley or carriage tour.




We just returned from Myrtle Beach and did a day tour to Charleston with a company called Charleston Adventures. Bus left from the Hard Rock Cafe at 7:15 a.m. and included tour at Boone Plantation, boat tour of Charleston Harbour and horse drawn carriage tour of historic area as well as short time to shop in market area. We had never been to Charleston and my husband did not want the hassle of driving especially after our long drive down from Canada. Although I would have liked time to wander around on our own it was a good introduction to the city. If you do a search for Charleston Adventures (or just add a dot com to their name) you will find a website with information. There are brochures on the company everywhere there was travel info but we found the phone numbers on the brochures were no longer in service and it looks like they have switched to a booking service so we had to contact the number on their website. The bus was modern and clean and our driver very personable. Hope this info is helpful.




Here is a similar tour I was looking into:





http://www.charlestonadventures.com/





Its an all day trip and leaves from Broadway at the Beach, you go on like three tours during the day, and then return to Myrtle Beach at about 6pm. All fo $99 per person





It includes (taken from website):





-Tour Boone Hall Plantation



-Harbor Boat Tour (box lunch included)



-Olde Towne Carriage Tour



-Shopping at Charleston鈥檚 Historic Covered Open-Air Market





My personal opinion is to rent a car and see charlston for yourself, spend an entire day there, enjoy some of the restauruants for dinner. But I think this would be a good tour if your more into a guided day vs. on your own.




Thanks everyone for responding, I need some time to digest all of your information. I only just signed in!!




My interest in a guided tour is for the same reasons as heathermc007 and linbar. It is close enough but still an additional two hour drive one way! am I correct?and I want to keep this trip as easy-going as possible!





Charleston Adventures seem a good alternative but pricey and we%26#39;ll have two 9-year old kids.





I still have to call Grayline of myrtle beach, why would they be advertising something online that they don%26#39;t have?





If it comes to it we would drive, I would just have to do more research on what to do once we get there.Also the tours don%26#39;t offer much in the area of good food or a good restaurant. Would miss that.




I%26#39;ve been reading these responses and they have me interested in a day trip to Charleston also. We would like to do a carriage ride tour in historic area,Fort Sumter and Patriot%26#39;s Point (Yorktown and other ships). What I%26#39;m wondering if this is feasible all in one day without feeling like you%26#39;re running through everything? Seems like we might need a little longer.



Cammie




Hi! You could check out The Charleston Adventures Tour, if you are willing to pay $99 per person. It includes the carriage tour.



Grayline of Myrtle Beach also advertised a carriage tour also although the tour%26#39;s existence is questionable! The best tour they offered was $30 adult and $16 per child.



i am thinking now according to Daddio361 it might be better to see a lot more while walking instead of driving. I%26#39;m still to check the Charleston forums to see what I come up with. I think that they are walking tours available once you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment