Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Best directions from upstate NY

Hello everyone, was wondering if i can get the fastest directions from the beach, Im from Upstate Ny, Fulton Cnty, Southern adirondack region. Three years ago when we made the trip to the beach, we took I-88 to Binghimton and them I-81 to Harrisburg, the 15 past Gettysburg, and then around the beltway then 95 to SC.



This summer we are going back again, and im getting conflicting info on what is the quickest way for me. Some are stating the quickest is 90 east to Albany(1 hr from me) down 87 to 287 in Jersey, the the 95 route down, Others are stating the way we went the first time, and still others are stating to go to Harrisburg,Pa, then take I-81 to Winchester,va, then the 17 route to 95 north of Richmand. Im trying to find the quickest way, as we will be traveling with a 15 month old this time, and not sure how she will be in a long ride(we are doing it in two days).



Which of these three ways have others taking? And what do you find the quickest? I would like to do the 81 to winchester, but I heard that it is alot longer to go this way, then to do the full 95 route thru Baltimore and Washington.. By the way, we are leaving Ny on a sunday morning....thanks for everyones input.......



Best directions from upstate NY


Sorry, make that fastest directions to the beach.....



Best directions from upstate NY


LOL....I was sending you the FunBeaches link for directions but see you%26#39;ve already found them.



One of the regulars is from Massena, NY. Is that upstate. I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll hear from him.




Massena is about 2.5 hours northwest of me..Actually not to far from the end of I-81..... be nice to hear from some regulars as im new to this board and funbeaches..




Hi..also a member of funbeaches...but have a different screen name over there.




I live in the Rochester area and have taken a lot of different routs to MB. The last three years I%26#39;ve taken this route.



81 to 64.



64 to 288



288 to 95



You%26#39;ll hit 95 just below Richmond.



Mileage wise it%26#39;s a little further, but time wise it%26#39;s quicker, the traffic is a lot lighter.





Avoid 17, the traffic can be a nightmare.





Good Luck.




I am also headed to the Beach from snowy upstate NY in April.





My GPS tells me to go through the I-495 beltway in DC. Google maps takes you on the same route. If I go this way, I will be getting through the DC area around 10 PM. Everyone keeps telling me to avoid the DC area. I am assuming at 10 PM the traffic should be minimal. Anybody have any thoughts on that? If I take I-81 to I-64 it adds over 100 miles to the trip.




hoopsreferee2001



I just drove to MB last Thursday from Utica, NY. We got into the DC area at 10pm and had traffic like rush hour. Fortunately there were no accidents.



I drive to MB about 5 to 6 times per year. I avoid the DC area because the traffic is bad more than it is good. I-64 will add miles but can be far less stressful than traveling through DC. Mind you nothing bothers me as far as traffic goes. I%26#39;m an aggressive driver and have driven in all kinds of traffic both here and in Europe. However, the stress of DC is just a big pain. I chose to drive through DC on our way home because I have a dear friend who works at the Cheesecake Factory in Arlington and wanted to stop for dinner there to say hello to him. I%26#39;m driving to MB again in 3 weeks and this time will take the 81 to 64 route. It really all depends upon your driving style and how much traffic you want to deal with.







Yankeelover you are still going to hit traffic in the Baltimore/DC area and summer brings a lot more traffic than winter. Are you planning on driving it all in one day or staying over somewhere? My husband left last Thursday from Syracuse at 6pm and drove all night with one stop in Pennsylvania to have dinner with my group and got into MB at 6am.




im from buffalo ny and we take the mapquest way the 90 to i 79 through pittsburgh and it takes just under 14hrs, and well be headin to mb in last weekend of march into april cant wait..Enough with the snow..




';My GPS tells me to go through the I-495 beltway in DC.';





Why don%26#39;t you make your GPS drive %26amp; I%26#39;ll bet it will suggest an alternate route the next time you ask it!

No comments:

Post a Comment