Monday, April 23, 2012

Bedbugs at Breakers

I wanted to bring your attention to my stay at the Breakers in Myrtle Beach. I stayed there in September of 2007 and wanted all families to know that my 5 years old daughter had bite marks while vacationing there. When we returned to Florida I took her to the Doctor and was informed that they were bed bug bites. Watch your families - check headboards. I didn%26#39;t and I really want all families to be informed as we near spring break and warmer weather in Myrtle Beach.



Bedbugs at Breakers


did you let the hotel know? How did they respond? Just curious to know.





Blake



Bedbugs at Breakers


OMG.. I too believe that my 8 year old daughter was bitten by bed bugs while we stayed at the Breakers in August 2007! It took me a long time to figure this out and I had brushed it off as mosquito bites. I am making plans to go back to MB again this August and although we want to try The Caribbean Resort, The Breakers was running third on my preference list because we liked it there. Really great location!- I became aware that theses bugs were making a comeback and did a bit of research on them.I had been looking for reports about bed bugs in MB hotels on tripadvisor and didn%26#39;t come up with much till now. According to my research, my daughter had a few of characteristics that you can look for. She was bitten at night, they also bit her three different places almost in a straight line.They also hurt. Yes people, Be aware- do your homework! Please check everything, I will, because.. they%26#39;re back!! since DDT is no longer in use.




And which building did you stay in at the Breakers?



Also, what most people don%26#39;t realize is that you can get bed bugs from any hotel and at any high rated hotel. The bugs can come from someone who just stayed there. And unless hotels use a microscope and a ultra violet light they wouldn%26#39;t know that they were in there. Also note that whenever you go to hotels, you should always spray the mattresses with some type of anti-allergen. I use Febreeze. It won%26#39;t necessarily kill them but they will scatter while you are there.





Bed bugs have become very common in hotels in the past few years. People need to take precautions everywhere you go and not just think because you are in a ';luxury'; hotel or that because you have paid all of this money for a room that it won%26#39;t have bed bugs. Also note that bed bugs are the least of your worries. Have you taken a look at the couches in these hotels. Do you think they fumigate them before you come there? Do you think a vacuum will kill all of the germs and bugs? It%26#39;s a risk you take when staying somewhere that isn%26#39;t your home. So just be sure to do your own cleaning when you arrive. I always just spray everything down with lysol and wipe door knobs and all before my children even come in the room. I rather do that then see bite marks and some type of fungus or infection when I get back home. And not only that, you take those bed bugs home with you when you leave. So just remember to wash everything in hot water if possible before returning home.




I do the same as Mrs.Maryland. If you come in my hotel room you would probably choke on all the the lysol. I take the wipes and wipe down everything and spay the bed with lysol and frebreeze. I usualy carry a set of sheets just incase they don%26#39;t look or feel clean but that won%26#39;t stop the bed bugs from changing the sheets. As mentioned this can happen any where be precatious.




I%26#39;ve also heard one precaution is to keep your clothes and suitcase up off the floor. The bugs will crawl in, and go home with you. Make sure to inform the hotel if you suspect bedbugs.




Not trying to hijack the thread but since lysol was brought uo I figured I would mention this. Our local radio station was talking about a study done on hotels about which things has the most germs and the elavator buttons and the TV remote had more germs on them then the germs that were in the toilet. So remember to wipe down the remote also and hit the elevator buttons with yopu elbow or something(which may be kind of hard)




To answer MRS MARYLAND.. We stayed at the Paradise Tower,at the Breakers... We really love the



Breakers and would go back any time! We just want to try somewhere else this year.You are right about them being in any hotel regardless of class. The problem is that they are hard to get rid of. I guess that the purpose of this forum is to get the knowledge out and maybe the hotels would take the time to fumigate the rooms.Of course the turnover of the rooms is so quick, and the one problem I did have with the hotel is that the cleaner cleaned the room so quickly and our sheets were not changed at all during our stay.



I am also totally aware that bed bugs might be the least of my worries. Staph infections are also on the rise.. in which case the lysol spray is definetely in the suitcase!! Look.. not trying to scare anyone here. Just take the precautions


  • eyeshadow color
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment