Friday, March 30, 2012

help... Another Where to stay Question

Hello,





I am coming to Charleston for an all too short break next week. I have just two nights.





I prefer to stay in higher end accommodations, but there are two catches...



1) I have a three year old child with me.



2) The places I have tried to book are full.





I have tried the Planters Inn and The French Quarter Inn and The Charleston Place and Market Pavilion and a few other places.





Here is what I have now..





The Doubletree Guest Suites Charleston - Historic District (two room suite) for $309





Charleston Marriott (Marriott Concierge Room) Average price $260





The Mills House (KING BD EXECUTIVE LEVEL STE) $449



(never thought I would be asked to pay that much for a Holiday Inn)





Any thoughts on those?? I would like to stay somewhere that is considered a safe area to walk around, and the nicer accommodations the better.,.



Does anyone have any other suggestions of places?





Huge thanks in advance etc etc...



help... Another Where to stay Question


The Mills House is a Holiday Inn but you would absolutely never make that association otherwise. It looks more like the southern version of the Waldorf Astoria. It would be a good pick if you have the $$$.



However, you might find the Doubletree to be the better location and value - of your above list, I%26#39;d pick that one.



help... Another Where to stay Question


Have you tried the Renaissance?




merlot, also try the Holiday Inn Historic District - very nice, downtown, and the concierge is awesome! Usually runs between $140 - $200.




wonderful.. Thank you so much.





Nothing available at the Renaissance or the Holiday Inn Historic District,.....





Is the Doubletree really in a much better location than the Mills House?



I know... when I looked at the Mills House, it did look lovely. But for $140 more than the Doubletree a night???




OK.. I have just reserved the Doubletree.. just because I am worried about not getting anything available. I am a little concerned about the reviews on here, but I think, for the price difference between the Mills House and the Doubletree it was worth a try.



I can always cancel it if I find anything better reccomended.





Now.... What are must do%26#39;s for a short stay? I am thinking one of the carriage rides? and what about food.. What food is Charleston known for would you say?





I will do a search through the previous posts on this forum later.





Thank you all.




You%26#39;ll be very happy with the location of the Doubletree.



What to do: across from the DT you will find the Carriage Ride companies. There are several and they%26#39;re all good as tour guides have to be well-trained in this city. I think your child is too young to go on the walking tour as those tours take 2 1/2 hours. Take him/her for a walk to the linear park on the Charleston Harbor off East Bay St to see the Pineapple Fountain. The SC Aquarium just opened a new exhibit called ';Camp Carolina'; which features, among other things, a Bald Eagle. Very cool. From the patio outside the Aquarium try to spot some bottlenose dolphins. You might consider taking a Harbor Cruise or even go on the Ft. Sumter boat ride. (Both leave from near the Aquarium). If you had a car (I don%26#39;t know if you%26#39;ll be driving down or where you%26#39;re from) you could go looking for sand dollars and shells on the beach at low tide.



That%26#39;s a start - ENJOY!




I stayed at the Doubletree in December and our suite was great. I had read some of the negative views and was wary about staying there but everything turned out great. The location is GREAT!




Thank you so much Culturehound.. Great tips.





Thank you all.. I feel OK about the booking now.



I do have a car as I am driving up the coast from Florida.





I am very excited about seeing Charleston, I wish I had longer, but there is always a next time.




I stayed at DoubleTree mid-Feb. and thought it was very good, beautiful flowers in foyer, excellent location, not noisy at night. My sister and I walked around at night and found it very safe, police around, lots of people on the streets.



Valet parking efficient and you can still have access to your car,(parked underground )if needed ,through the hotel elevators.



Small kitchenette included in unit- microwave, bar fridge, sink . The downside with a 3 yr old is that bedroom and bathroom are up a flight of stairs, loft style. Hotel offers buffet breakfast only-very good-but you can order in dinner from area restaurants.



Loved Charleston- was our first visit- but will go back for sure.




My wife and visit Charleston 2-3 times per year and we like the Drury Inn and The Vendue Inn. Both are clean and reasonably priced and are located right in the middle of downtown Charleston which is key for us. The Vendue Inn is located in the French Quarter right off East Bay St. near the waterfront park across from the Southend Brewery. I always request a room on the 1st floor because there is a popluar rooftop bar that can be a little noisy for rooms beneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment